Saturday, September 20, 2008

This Blows

We met the doctor this morning that's subbing for Karen's infectious disease doctor. She was funny and encouraging that this visit will be short, and gave some indications that the doctor's do know what's going on. Disconcertingly, though, when Karen dropped some pills the doctor picked them up, blew on them, and invoked the five second rule.
I've been saying that I was probably one of the people that disapproved of the Family and Medical Leave Act when it was enacted in 1993; calling it an unwarranted intrusion into collective bargaining and the free market. Now that I'm availing myself of its protections, I've been singing a different tune (We Are Family).
FMLA is set up to protect families from financial disaster during medical crises, except for the Postal Service implementation. If you need more than two weeks to care for a sick family member, you cannot use sick leave, you must use leave without pay, or annual leave. I've spent 30 years accruing sick leave, but now that I need it, I can't have it. Luckily, I do have enough annual leave to cover at least this period. Karen has a room with view, but it's still not exactly where I'd planned to vacation this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment