Monday, August 04, 2008

Skirts and Flip-Flops

A lady on my route, recently returned from Seattle, gave me an an article from the Seattle Times about a Lacey (the town where he lives, not a comment on his manliness) letter carrier lobbying to make kilts part of the men's postal uniform.
I looked at the picture, and, call it what you will, it's a skirt. I'm reasonably secure, but I already walk a Pomeranian and wear spandex bike shorts, so I think wearing a dress (especially the one with the frilly collar) to work would remove some level of ambiguity.

Do you remember I told you about casing mail and muscle memory? When I first started at the post office (delivering stone tablets for Herodotus,) our cases had seven shelves. Then, controversially, they changed to six. When we started vertical flat casing, they went to a four shelf configuration, which we have used for maybe 15 or 20 years. Now, another, unexplained, innovation, we're going to five shelves. If casing is a dance, we're going to be going, for awhile at least, from grand jete´ to something more hokey and pokey.

Back in the '70's, Neil Young sang, "I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie." It turns out my informant at work was wrong yesterday. We're not going to a permanent third bundle. I think Neil and I are both relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment