Tuesday, August 19, 2008

For the Squeamish

Karen has developed a post operative condition. When we went for a dressing change yesterday, Karen's regular doctor wasn't there. The doctor looking at the dressings suggested a procedure, the first one on the list. Karen didn't want to do it because after the way the last surgery went awry, she didn't want medical people approaching her with anything sharper than a spoon. The doctor said that the alternative was to remain for weeks even more bed-bound than she has been, even going so far as to mention bedpans. I really pressed her to go ahead with the procedure. I've been nursing her for a week, and I really didn't want to add bed pans to my duties, plus more importantly, I told her, why should she suffer so much pain for weeks when a simple ten minute procedure could alleviate it.? Plus, if they did it, no bed pans.
They scheduled it for this morning, but then decided that due to the redness of the site, they might want to wait an extra day, so now it's scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. The doctor said that by then Karen's regular doctor would be back, and she could do it. I told him, "I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I don't like." So, now, he's going to do it, although, since it's on her back and they wear masks, I don't know how we'll know for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Hope everything goes well (or better then it's been). We've been missing your presence gracing our streets. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Karen...

    ReplyDelete