Thursday, May 15, 2008

Irony Abounds, But Can It Dribble or Shoot?

Today was Bike to Work Day, and I did, without even realizing I was part of a movement. Of course by the time I found out, I was already part of the problem not the solution. I raced through the first part of my route so I could ride home and take Karen to a doctor's appointment. When I took her home, I just kept the car and drove back to work. For no reason, really, once I got off work, I drove around for awhile looking for a new bike lock. I sort of need a new lock because recently I dropped my keys in the outgoing mail, and never saw them again. Since then, I've started taking big doses of vitamin B5, B6, and B12, way more than I ever did B4. I don't know if it's helping my mental acuity, but just two days after starting the regimen I was able to remember Elaine Cox's name. That's anecodotal evidence, so I know it can't be trusted, although I don't think it would deliberately lie to you.
I probably don't really need a new lock because somewhere I have a spare key, but, I really hate the lock I have, so I was just looking for a reason to get a new lock. I went to REI. Here's a geopolitical note. The store was full of Japanese tourists taking advantage of the falling dollar, catching a bargain. I stared at the locks for awhile, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one, knowing I had a perfectly hateful one at home. Yesterday, I did bring myself to buy two new road tires for my bike. I had just been convinced by my bike maven that I didn't need new tires, I needed new technique, but they were only $8.99 and will arrive in two days, years before any better riding technique is likely to appear.
Don't it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

No comments:

Post a Comment