Saturday, October 20, 2007

What A Difference A Day Makes Part II or Biking Through Xanadu

After dinner last night, I rode my bike for the first time since Karen's accident. I rode along the Chester Creek bike trail in the dark.
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

The creek, lit by the moon, filled with India ink, was
A savage place ! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover !
It was just below freezing as I sped along the creek and under the roads, past the warning signs, "Ice in Tunnel".

those caves of ice !
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware ! Beware !
His flashing eyes, his floating hair !
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
A little too much? I guess, but I really enjoyed being back on a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment