Thursday, June 03, 2010

Seriously, Why Is Firefly Off The Air? It Had Quality Value And Convenience

I don't remember what I was looking online for the other day, which sort of makes Nicholas Carr's point. But even if Google is making us stupid, it does have it's compensations, since I found this quote quite by the serendipitous accident that Google constantly provides,



"[Simon and River whine about getting a dedicated "source box".]


Gabriel Tam: I will not have it in my house. But, since your mother's already ordered you one, I guess I should give up the fantasy that this is my house!"


Which sort of sums up a discussion Karen and I have been having about QVC. I've been claiming that they're parasites preying on the slack-jawed, the mouth-breathers, the ignorant and pathetic. She's been claiming that they're the incarnation of quality, value and convenience. According to an article I read, they're not parasites, exactly, but para-friends,(not unlike our dogs who are about to be surprised by a new toy that hurts their ears when they bark, courtesy of Karen's new "friends")  creating "bonds that tickle our subconscious in many of the ways that real friendships do. And as anyone who has ever been to a Pampered Chef home selling event can testify, when a friend is pushing the goods, it’s very hard not to buy something." 
Although, rereading that, it does sound sort of parasitic. According to the article, though, watching QVC is "...considerably safer than rock climbing."


From the Department of the Miracle of Birth:
I received this link in my e-mail yesterday from a friend of a friend's neighbor. The squeamish might want to skip to slide 11. The neighbor of the friend of the friend is an artist and photographer.





















No comments:

Post a Comment