Thursday, April 01, 2010

Wait, Maybe That Wasn't Foreshadowing, Maybe It Was Symbolism.

Foreshadowing is a common literary technique. In To Kill a Mockingbird, a rabid dog in the first part of the book foreshadows racism quietly seething,  with the potential to explode later in the book. Things aren't always so straight forward in real life. This morning, the first words I heard were, "The toilet's plugged up."  So, you might think that later in the day, I'd be handling something nasty, but I wasn't, just mail.

I've been playing Words With Friends, an iPhone Scrabble app. It's a great implementation of the game, especially, if for some reason you don't have any friends even though you've got an iPhone; it will put you together with with some virtual friends to play with. My only quibble (20 points, not counting bonuses) is that it has a pretty broad interpretation of what constitutes a word. I think it's great to take satisfaction in a well placed tile, I don't think you should also get pride of authorship.

No comments:

Post a Comment