Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Boring Post About Abusing Drug Abusers

I've been eating a lot of turmeric lately because I hear it makes you smarter. I'm hoping that soon I'll know how to pronounce it.
I listened to a story from Texas the other day. The war on drugs (subtitled,  the war on the 4th amendment) seems to be creating incentives for the police to do bad things. In any event, I'm beginning to suspect that the whole war on drugs is just a manifestation of the banana republic effect here. Not the trendy, ironically named store, but the old wikipedia-referenced kind:
Banana republic is a country that is politically unstable ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy, and corrupt clique. The original concept was a very direct reference to a "servile dictatorship" which abetted (or directly supported in return for kickbacks, the exploitation of large-scale plantation agriculture (especially banana cultivation).
  To wit, why am I paying $700 co-pays at the pharmacy, and junkies in Dubuque can get heroin for six bucks? Is the government waging a war on citizens to protect big pharma against competition?
And another thing, it's April 14th, why do we have a winter weather advisory and 8 new inches of snow on the ground?

No comments:

Post a Comment