Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"...Words, Words Are All I Have"

There was an episode of Taxi, where the character played by Jeff Conaway; and by the way let me just say here, we don't watch Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, but sometimes when we're just scanning the channels, it's on every week for an hour. So, it's sort of a coincidence that I even know this, since, as I already explained, we don't really watch every single episode from start to finish, but what a jerk Jeff Conaway grew up to be.
Anyway, if we've learned anything from the works of Pinker, Chomsky, and especially Dumpty, people don't always hear exactly what you're saying. For example, I said to a couple on my route today, "I don't want to sound like a jerk, " but from their reaction I'm pretty sure they heard exactly the opposite of what I had just said.

No comments:

Post a Comment