Monday, February 05, 2007

Tortured Foxes? No, Just a Tortured Metaphor Involving Foxes.

I was racking my brain today. I thought I was wracking it, but I checked, and no, it's racked. Totally.
So, anyway, I was trying to come up with something cute for Valentines Day. I got something sort of Ambrose Bierce-ish: If someone falls in love, are they suffering from cupidity?
I tried to parody the "Roses are red," thing, but it wasn't as easy as I thought.
I had,
Roses are red.
Hemp is unlawful.
The things that you said,
Made me feel awful.
but that wasn't what I was going for. I was playing with
Roses are red (like a stop sign)
Violets are blue (because they're sad)
Sugar is sweet (and fattening)
but that was just pathetic,

Then, like foxes with their tails tied together on fire, rushing through a field, I realized that two and a half years from today, I will be eligible to retire. Of course, Karen says I can't retire till I get a hobby, but still, being eligible to retire just sounds liberating.
I talked for awhile about learning to keep bees. A friend scared me for a minute when she said that they always die in the winter, but it turned out that she meant the bees, not their keepers. I couldn't see getting sentimental about a bunch of bugs, but then I wasn't sure that was a real beekeeper attitude. So, any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. My Dad just retired on Friday and he doesn't have any hobbies and while he doesn't seem to mind getting stung, I'm not sure my mom would allow him to keep bees. He has a stack of books to read and some projects around the house, but other than that, we are all wondering what he'll do. I'll let you know if he comes up with something good. Maybe he can start blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete