Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

If we learned anything from Alanis Morissette, it's that we don't know what irony is. No one does. Except for freshman coeds , although I'm not sure coed is even a noun anymore.
If irony only meant an unexpected outcome, then nowadays irony would be almost impossible, since no outcome, even the most horrific, can be totally unexpected.  Graffiti in Damascus? Syrian civil war and the return of polio. And, like a million other examples I haven't thought of. I know a week ago when I first started this post, I was upset about something, but I'm like Homer Simpson, "Look, a bird." I've spent approximately 2 hours trying to upload a video of eagles I took a few days ago to illustrate how distracting they are, but while it looks amazing in the original, online it looks so pixelated it could be an eagle inspired game of Tetris. If you want to see the original, let me know, and maybe the whole internet can gather around my phone. 
Since then, I've left town and right now I'm in New Hampshire. It snowed lightly yesterday here which was preceded by a heavy fall of salt leaving the roads passable, but the windshields opaque. There is enough salt that virtually every car is a mobile margarita glass. White Mountains, indeed. More time has gone by and now we're back in Boston about to join our family for Thanksgiving dinner, coincidentally almost exactly 150 years after the speech containing the immortal words, "Now we are engaged in a great civil war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment