Friday, September 03, 2010

Saying It Doesn't Make It So

Karen called her doctor's office today to ask if they were planning on giving her another block today. The assistant had never even gotten the message that she wanted a block, but managed to get her in right away, so forty five minutes after Karen called, she was being prepped.
I watched a movie from Netflix on my iPhone (!!) until the doctor came out and told me that he thought this one had been more successful than the last couple. He'd managed to go to the exact right nerve with the exact right medicine. But just in case she had pain over the holiday weekend, he'd ordered some medicine for her. I went down the hall to the pharmacy, paid $3,847.50 to them for the second time in ten days and came back to find Karen unable to even tolerate being in a wheelchair. She needed an ambulance ride home.  The drivers got her in the house, and then one of them said, "Have a good day."
"You're kidding," I said.
As they walked down the sidewalk to their truck, he said it again, "Have a nice day."
"Are you going to keep saying that?" I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment