Sunday, February 17, 2008

Am I a Hyporcite For Noticing This?

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.
-Matthew 23:25-28


The sermon today at church was about legalism versus grace. I couldn't help but think that the most ardent critics of John McCain seem seem sort of Pharisaical. I'm pretty disgusted with the people calling themselves conservatives. Now at this point, I could share some closely reasoned examples of conservatives valuing style over substance but that seems like a lot of work, or I could go into an irrational rant. The rant thing seems tempting, but even that is more work than I really feel like putting into this (part of the sermon was about how many footsteps you could take on the Sabbath and I think I'm maxing out on keystrokes here). I just think that we Republicans should be able to develop a theory of government that's too long to fit on a bumper sticker.

No comments:

Post a Comment