Friday, November 12, 2010

Quicken and Red Ink

My relationship with Quicken is long, and fraught.  I once had a letter criticizing it published in MacWorld, or maybe it was MacUser; it was a long time ago. Yesterday my 5 year old version of Quicken wouldn't connect to my bank's computer, and on a whim, I bought, downloaded and installed the newest version.
Years ago, when I used to edit a little newsletter, I  said about the new fad, word processors, that it would be easier  and less painful to use a quill, a quill dipped in my own blood. Intuit has raised the bar on user unfriendliness. The balance was wrong, and it wouldn't reconcile, or uninstall. I finally dragged it file by file to the trash, and went back to the old version, which, by the by, connects fine, now that the bank's computer is back online.
And with name like Intuit, you'd think they'd be a little more self-aware than George Costanza:

GEORGE: See, it didn't bother Susan either. That's why I'm different. I can sense
the slightest human suffering.
JERRY: Are you sensing anything right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment